Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ebisu Project Parts Run-up Part 5

I spoke with Hiroshi Iimura at Jitensha Studio shortly after I came back from a trip a week ago and learned that I probably shouldn't expect my frame to arrive until early March (he was assembling an Ebisu that someone had ordered in early August; the wait for an Ebisu is now up to 5 months). Nonetheless, I decided to get the wheels build up. I have 36h hubs--Ultegra 10-speed rear and Suntour XC Comp NOS front--and I had to decide what rims to use. There were really only two options for my purpose--velocity synergy and grand bois rims. To complicate the matter slightly, Iimura-san only has access to 32h Synergy rims and 36h grand bois rims.

I initially went with Grand Bois and later changed my mind and decided to go with Synergy. For that, I had to supply the rims, too. I bought 2 rims ((with yet another twist; Iimura-san prefers not to use OC rims, so I bought two non-OC ones) from Rivendell (likely the only place in the US that stocks 36h Synergy rims in 650b). Hiroshi is a little backed up after spending a month in Japan. But since my frame won't arrive for another 6 weeks, I am not in the hurry. When I was at Rivendell, I also dropped off my SON20 hub for Rich to build into a wheel. I still need to get a light for it, and I am thinking about getting a Busch & Muller IQ Cyo.

I will get some pictures of the wheels up when I get them back from the builders.

By the way, I also got a pair of Grand Bois Hetre tires from Box Dog Bikes when the shop had a 20% sale.

Here is the updated list:

Still need:

- cables, housings and ferrules
- tubes 650b
- Rim Tapes
- Hanjo smooth fender

Already Have:

Components
- Shimano Ultegra 6500 rear derailleur; long cage
- Shimano 105 9-speed front derailleur; triple; 28.6 clamp diameter
- Sugino XD600 crankset 46/36/26 170 crank arm length
- Shimano Ultegra seatpost 27.2
- Selle Anatomica Saddle; clydesdale
- Tektro R200A brake levers; black/silver
- Grenouille cantilever brakes from VO
- Velo Orange adjustable brake shoes
- Nitto Randonneur handlebars; 44cm
- Nitto Pearl quill stem; 10 cm reach
- Crank Brothers Quattro road pedals
- SRAM 890 8-speed chain
- Riv Silver friction downtube shifters
- Phil Wood stainless steel bottom bracket 68x108mm JIS
- Stronglight A9 1" threaded headset, British thread; black with "paramount" inscribed

- Shimano XT M737 11-30 8-speed cassette
- Velocity Synergy non-OC silver rim laced to Shimano Ultegra FH 6600 10-speed hub; 36h
- Velocity Synergy non-OC silver rim laced to Suntour XC Comp front hub; 36h
- Velocity Synergy non-OC silver rim laced to SON20 hub
- tires; Grand Bois Hetres (2)
- Handlebar tape: yellow or tan Soma thick n zesty tape

Accessories:
- Jitensha mini-front rack for Ebisu All Purpose
- Inujirushi handlebar bag; medium

7 comments:

Lee said...

You're getting close to the finish line! So, the Ebisu will fit the Hetres? What size fenders do you think you'll need--60mm? Overall, sounds like a dream build!

Lee

Unknown said...

Lee,

I think VO 52mm Zeplin fenders would do. I am just waiting for the frame now.

Lee said...

Hey Franklin. I saw from the iBOB list that you are thinking about a Kogswell. Now is a good time, in case you didn't see this already. Matthew is having a Kogswell sale, much like the Rawland one:

" We're critically low on Kogswell alloy fenders. But Chris just got a shipment of 650B Zeppelin fenders at Velo Orange.

So...for a limited time you can purchase a 650B
frame/fork/seatclamp/headbadge set for $339. You find your own headset, seatpost and fenders. You save a BUNDLE. Shipping is extra. Don't delay. This offer won't last. The order desk is open: 952-288-6165 Matthew
"

Lee

Unknown said...

Thanks, I saw that, that's what got me thinking. Although no one showed interest in my On One so far. We will see if I get to get a Kogswell this time around.

Lee said...

Good luck! The front-loading, low-trail thing is really nice. Over the past couple of months, I've been carrying only about 12 lbs. on my front rack during my commute. For the last couple of days, however, I needed to bring in my (large) laptop, which, with accessories and some books, shoots the weight up past 20 lbs. The ride was so smooth and solid--but still nimble. It was a pleasant reminder! Also, just fyi, the unloaded ride on my P/R is just okay. It feels really light on the front-end, even though I am usually at the very least carrying a u-lock and long cable. Kind of skitterish on the cracked SF streets.

Protorio said...

I have no need for a new bike...but that Kogswell deal sounds pretty sweet. Anyway - what color for the Ebisu? Besides the lovely orange, many of the other colors I've seen are quite deck.

Unknown said...

Esteban,

I have chosen this greenish blue (or bluish green) color for the Ebisu. Hiroshi informed me that I should expect my frame in the beginning of March--that's only one month away!

My Kogswell is sitting in the bike shop getting some minor alignment done. Hopefully I can commute on it next week.

franklyn