Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ebisu Project Parts Run-up Part 4

I got another 2 pieces of the puzzle for my ebisu (which won't come for another 2 and 1/2 months). I went to box dog bikes in San Francisco yesterday after work to pick up one-bike-worth of Velo Orange adjustable brake shoes. According to VO's website, these threadless brake shoes allow "toe-in, and other, adjustments". I have one-bike-worth of Grenouille canti brakes (also from VO) that can use these shoes. I also bought a Shimano XT M737 8-speed cassette from eBay, using Live.com's cashback program.

I have also been pondering whether I should get a dynamo hub and light for this build. I am considering Schmidt SON28, SON20R, and Shimano DH-3N80. Does anyone have any experience on the Shimano hub? If I do build a dynamo front wheel, I will still probably build a non-dynamo one for when I don't need lighting.

Here is the updated list:

Still need:

- cables, housings and ferrules
- rims, silver, 650b; Velocity Synergy 650b or Grand Bois rims, 36h
- 72 spokes

- tubes 650b
- Rim Tapes
- Hanjo smooth fender
- Handlebar tape

Already Have:

Components
- Shimano Ultegra 6500 rear derailleur; long cage
- Shimano 105 9-speed front derailleur; triple; 28.6 clamp diameter
- Sugino XD600 crankset 46/36/26 170 crank arm length
- Shimano Ultegra seatpost 27.2
- Selle Anatomica Saddle; clydesdale
- Tektro R200A brake levers; black/silver
- Grenouille cantilever brakes from VO
- Velo Orange adjustable brake shoes
- Nitto Randonneur handlebars; 44cm
- Nitto Pearl quill stem; 10 cm reach
- Crank Brothers Quattro road pedals
- SRAM 890 8-speed chain
- Shimano FR-6600 Ultegra 10-speed rear hub; 36h
- Suntour XC-Comp front hub, 36h
- Riv Silver friction downtube shifters
- Phil Wood stainless steel bottom bracket 68x108mm JIS
- Stronglight A9 1" threaded headset, British thread; black with "paramount" inscribed

- tires; Rivendell Nifty Swifty 650b (2)
- Shimano XT M737 11-30 8-speed cassette


Accessories:
- Jitensha mini-front rack for Ebisu All Purpose
- Inujirushi handlebar bag; medium

7 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Franklyn. I have the heavier version of the Shimano dynohub (DH-3N70). I can definitely feel a little resistance when running the lights. Also, I can clearly see the effects of the dynohub when I spin the wheel.

However, I don't think I'll own a bike that doesn't have a dynohub. They are just too convenient, and it feels good knowing that if I'm ever caught out in the dark, I have a lighting solution ready to go. The caveat here is that I don't plan to do any type of riding where that extra weight and resistance would hamper me or my enjoyment of the ride.

Finally, while I don't have any real complaints about the Shimano, I think if I were building up a bike that I want to be my companion for the long haul, I would splurge for the SON20R. I don't have any solid facts to argue this choice, just a personal philosophy I guess.

Take care and enjoy your riding,
Lee

Unknown said...

Lee,

I have battery-powered light, from super-bright LED headlamp that is compliant with German regulations to blinkers that allow me to be seen. I am thinking about getting dynamo hub for two applications: long distance, overnight rides, and for my winter commute to illuminate the road. I think the shimano version will do fine for the latter purpose, but I am trolling eBay for an SON20 hub for the long distance events.

thanks for the feedback,
Franklyn

Lee said...

Hey Franklyn, JimG posted that the 3N80 is now available at Harris Cyclery, as well as some links to performance-related info:

http://sfcyclotouring.blogspot.com/

I've been loving the dynamo hub in these dark, evening commutes. I wish I had a reason to switch out my halogen Lumotec for an LED one, but seeing as how the former is essentially brand new, I can't in good conscious do this.

My best,
Lee

Unknown said...

If you want to use synergy rims here are the correct spoke sizes I used for my second build.

Front = 277mm
Rear = 275mm nondrive, 274mm drive

I used suntour xc9000 front, and ultegra 8/9spd rear, with Saipam spokes off ebay but yours build should be the same.

The first build used Riv recommend spokes which were too long!

Unknown said...

Crap, sorry those spoke sizes were for 32 hole wheel. Not sure how much it would change for 36h.

32h should be plenty for non loaded touring. The smaller wheel is stronger.

Unknown said...

I don't think the Ultegra 6500 rear derailleur will handle a 30t cog. I can barely get it to clear a 28t with the b tension all the way in.

Unknown said...

Dave,

I will be using an Ultegra 6600 rear hub and a SON20 generator front hub, both 36 holes. I haven't yet decided whether to use velocity synergy or grand bois rims.

I have an ultegra 6600 rear derailleur. I can see how 30T will be borderline for that derailleur. I also have an XT long-cage derailleur, which I will use if the ultegra derailleur gives me any problem