Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ebisu Project Parts Run-up Part 3


I hunted down a couple more parts for the Ebisu. Microsoft is teaming up with eBay to give incentive for people to search for products to shop on the company's live.com search engine. This page talks about how the cash-back program works. At some point Microsoft was handing out 30% cash-back. When I bought the two items for my ebisu the cash-back was 25%--still very good. First is a Phil Wood bottom bracket, english threaded (68 x 108mm). The spindle length is on the low end for the XD-600 crankset, but it should work. It comes with british rings and installation tool. The buy-it-now price was $90, which means I got $22.50 of cash back.

The second item is the Stronglight A9 headset that Jan at Bicycle Quarterly and Chris at Velo Orange keep praising. I bought this from Boulder Bicycle (which also sells Rene Herse constructer bicycles) through eBay. With the cash-back I got, I paid $45 including shipping. The only small complain I have is that this headset is black. I might still jump on a silver one if I come across it. This one also have "paramount" inscribed on it. The size convention on the headset can be confusing. But basically, for most quality bikes, the diameter of the crown race is 26.4mm and this is called ISO size for 1" threaded headset. JIS size still exists, but is rarer. It's confusing for me because I am used to looking for JIS spindle for non-campy square-tapered cranksets (Campy uses ISO spindle). Sheldon Brown's headset crib sheet is a great reference.

The hunt continues for the few remaining part, the most notable being the rims. Here is an updated list, reflecting these changes:

Still need:
- Shimano XT 11-30 8-speed cassette or comparable
- cables, housings and ferrules
- rims, silver, 650b; Velocity Synergy 650b or Grand Bois rims, 36h
- 72 spokes

- tires; 650b (grand bois ourson rivendell maxy fasty or panaracer CdlV)
- tubes 650b
- Rim Tapes
- Hanjo smooth fender
- Handlebar tape

Already Have:
Components
- Shimano Ultegra 6500 rear derailleur; long cage
- Shimano 105 9-speed front derailleur; triple; 28.6 clamp diameter
- Sugino XD600 crankset 46/36/26 170 crank arm length
- Shimano Ultegra seatpost 27.2
- Selle Anatomica Saddle; clydesdale
- Tektro R200A brake levers; black/silver
- Grenouille cantilever brakes from VO
- Nitto Randonneur handlebars; 44cm
- Nitto Pearl quill stem; 10 cm reach
- Crank Brothers Quattro road pedals
- SRAM 890 8-speed chain
- Shimano FR-6600 Ultegra 10-speed rear hub; 36h
- Suntour XC-Comp front hub, 36h
- Riv Silver friction downtube shifters
- Phil Wood stainless steel bottom bracket 68x108mm JIS
- Stronglight A9 1" threaded headset, British thread; black with "paramount" inscribed

Accessories:
- Jitensha mini-front rack for Ebisu All Purpose
- Inujirushi handlebar bag; medium

5 comments:

blackmountaincycles said...

Enjoy following your build. 108 does seem a bit narrow for a triple Sugino. But if the stays are narrow enough, might work. I typically use 113 length for Sugino triples.
Mike

Unknown said...

Mike,

thanks for your advice. I have been reading up on your blog as well. I will drop by the shop next time I am in Pt Reyes. Rivendell advices its customers to use 107mm or 110mm for the sugino triple on its road bikes. I have used 107mm BB on my Romulus in the past and it works. Worst, I can probably create a little offset on the Phil Wood BB to make it work. I guess I can just go ask Hiroshi.

Franklyn

blackmountaincycles said...

Thanks, Franklyn. I should note that the frames I've used 113mm bottom brackets were mountain bikes with wider chainstays. I'm sure for a road-like bike, narrower would be perfect - and I'm sure Rivendell has done their research!

Unknown said...

Franklyn,
What is the fork trail on the Ebisu? Did you have Hiroshi design a custom geometry or did you go with the standard All Purpose geometry? Will you use this as a randonneuse? By the way, I've seen your posts on KOG. I have a P/R set up as aporteur, and I'm considering getting an Ebisu with low fork trail and set it up as a randonnuese. I'm still trying to convince myself that it's ok to get a second bike.

Unknown said...

Bernard,

I just told hiroshi that i want to use the bike as a randonneuring bike, and want to carry weight up front and he did the rest. I have also a low-trail Kogswell, which is actually set up like a randonneuse right now since I haven't been able to find a suitable porteur rack

franklyn