Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ebisu Project Parts Run-up Part 2

After working an all-nighter last week and finishing it before the deadline, I decided to visit Rivendell headquarters to pick up a few things. I got some fenders, a stove and a bowl, a reflective triangle for commuting, a small tub of sunscreens, and the silver downtube shifters. Of all these parts, only the shifter is specifically for the Ebisu.

I went to Jitensha again on saturday (10/18) to discuss with Iimura-san about the wheel size of my Ebisu. The saturday before we decided to have standard tubing (besides the downtube) on the bike and I chose the color. This saturday we spoke briefly and decided to go with 650b wheel size. Hiroshi responded to my email question from earlier in the week: the Ebisu will be able to fit 650x42b tires (I am thinking Grand Bois Hetres) but the fender-line might not be correct. I also received a response from the owner of a nice Ebisu All-Purpose who posted pictures of his bike on flickr sporting the said Hetre tires. Basically, they will fit, but I have to get wide enough fenders.

I received some advices on choice of wheel size and tubing from Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly that were very helpful. I also began my subcription of the magazine and received 3 back-issues yesterday. They were such fun read!

I will use 650x35b tires to start (probably the Grand Bois Oursons, if I am heading to Japan again soon, or Panaracer Col de la Vie in the meanwhile) and will also try 650x32b and 650x42b tires when I get a chance.

Here is an updated list, reflecting these changes:

Components
- Shimano Ultegra 6500 rear derailleur; long cage
- Shimano 105 9-speed front derailleur; triple; 28.6 clamp diameter
- Sugino XD600 crankset 46/36/26 170 crank arm length
- Shimano Ultegra seatpost 27.2
- Selle Anatomica Saddle; clydesdale
- Tektro R200A brake levers; black/silver
- Grenouille cantilever brakes from VO
- Nitto Randonneur handlebars; 44cm
- Nitto Pearl quill stem; 10 cm reach
- Crank Brothers Quattro road pedals
- SRAM 890 8-speed chain
- Shimano FR-6600 Ultegra 10-speed rear hub; 36h
- Suntour XC-Comp front hub, 36h
- Riv Silver friction downtube shifters

Accessories:
- Jitensha mini-front rack for Ebisu All Purpose
- Inujirushi handlebar bag; medium

Still need:
- Shimano XT 11-30 8-speed cassette or comparable
- cables, housings and ferrules
- rims, silver, 650b; Velocity Synergy 650b or Grand Bois rims, 36 h
- 72 spokes
- tires; 650b (grand bois ourson rivendell maxy fasty or panaracer CdlV)
- tubes 650b
- Rim Tapes
- Hanjo smooth fender
- Handlebar tape

The next step is to get rims and have the wheels built

4 comments:

Lee said...

Hey Franklyn. Glad to hear your Ebisu is in full gestation! Did you ever debate the idea of a front dyno-hub?

-Lee

Marco Velo said...

Nice to read your enthusiam on your Ebisu, what's the delivery time on your frame?

Unknown said...

Lee,

I thought about a SON generator hub. Since I won't get the frame for a while, I will keep my eyes peeled for one. I already have a Busch & Muller Fly IQ LED generator light which I can use in combination with the generator hub

Marco Velo,

I will be getting the frame, according to Hiroshi Iimura at Jitensha, toward the end of February

Marco Velo said...

Sounds about right, I placed a deposit on an all purpose last July and hoping to p/u in November. -m