Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Waiting for my Ebisu

The last time I talked to Iimura-san at Jitensha Studio was close a month ago. At that time he told me my ebisu should arrive in early March. Since then I have built up two 650b bikes--a Rawland Sogn for my friend and a Kogswell P/R for myself. Even though my impluse tells me to pick up the phone and get yet another update from Jitensha Studio with an outside chance that the frameset arrives early, I decided to resist the urge and just wait for another week. I believe I have all the parts ready, except for a set of fenders.

People who have been following the update of my parts list know what I have. I have now decided to go with the friction shifters at the downtube to reduce cable housings in the front. I intend to use the Grand Bois Hetres, even though Iimura-san does not recommend it for fender-line issue. I hope that the VO Zepelin fenders (52mm) will work out, even if the fender lines cannot be perfect. I have a few brevet events, a couple of hard centuries, and several challenging casual rides lined up, and I am really looking forward to building the Ebisu up and start riding it.

Hopefully the next time I ride about the Ebisu project will be about the process of building it up, instead of waiting for it.

3 comments:

Marco Velo said...

Hi Franklyn,

It's been interesting to read your blog about your bikes and your Ebisu.

Here's a shot of my new 56cm Ebisu All-arounder that I finished building-up and rode for the first time last Saturday.

The bike is very stable and is extremely responsive, even when when pedaling hard. You will find this bike well worth the wait!

Components:
Stem: Nitto Pearl 10cm
Bars: Nitto Randonneur
Headset: Stronglight A9
Shifters: NOS Campagnolo Super Record (friction)
Brakes: Shimano BR 550 cantilever
Crankset: Sugino Alpina
Chainrings: TA Specialités 50/33
BB: Phil Wood, Titanium spindle
Saddle: Brooks B-17 Champion Special
Derailleurs: Shimano 105
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-32
Seatpost: Nitto SP-72 Jaguar
Front rack: Nitto M-12 with Nitto rack adapter bolts.
Wheels: Campagnolo front hub, Ultegra rear hub with Mavic Open sport rims.
Tires: Panaracer Pasela: 700x32 folding

I'm currently having new wheels built with a SON 20R dynohub and DT Swiss RR1.1 rims and adding fenders after I get the new wheels.

Marco

Unknown said...

Marco,

that's a beautiful looking bike. Mine will be several shades lighter in color, and in 650b wheel size. What's the spindle length of the Phil Wood BB?

Franklyn

Marco Velo said...

BB spindle length is 108mm.