Saturday, February 7, 2009

Kogswell P/R (Build List, Pictures Later)

I received the frame this week, but sent it to my local bike shop Missing Link to correct a minor offset at the dropout, install headset, and cut steering tube. I have received all the parts via mail this past week (some parts have been sitting in my parts bin).

I spent 4 hours this afternoon/evening building it up. Using downtube friction shifters really simplify the build process significantly--I don't have to cut derailleur cable housings for connecting the shifters to the downtube cable bosses, and I don't have to play with the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur to get the indexing right.

I started out by tightening the headset cap to reach proper load on the headset and adjust the stem to straighten it with respect to the frame. I then set the saddle to the correct saddle height. I raise it slightly because the crankset I am using has 155mm arm length. I then installed the bottom bracket, crankset, rear derailleur, and front derailleur.

Shifters go on next, and then I did the cabling for shifting. As I commented earlier, this step took less than half the time it takes to set up other types of shifters. I then installed the brakes and wrapped the handlebar. At this point I was hungry and went out to eat dinner with M.

After dinner, I tied up some loose ends and installed the pedal. Now it's ready to ride. I rode around the parking lot and it felt really good. Tomorrow morning we are going out for a 40-mile ride. I will report how the ride goes on the P/R and take some pictures. here is the build list:

- Kogswell 2nd Gen P/R 59cm 650b frameset (including no-name headset, seat clamp, bottom bracket cable guide and head badge)
- Suntour ratchet friction downtube shifters
- Shimano XTR long cage rear derailleur (I bought it on Craigslist and it didn't come with barrel adjuster for indexing, but I don't need it anyway)
- Shimano 105 triple front derailleur; 31.8 clamp diameter with shim for 28.6mm seat tube
- Shimano UN-54 68x107mm bottom bracket; square tapered
- FSA RPM black crankset; 155mm crank arms, 110 BCD, Sugino chainring 46/36T
- SRAM PC870 8-speed chain
- Nitto Moustache bar
- Ritchey stem 110mm; 6 degree rise
- Tektro R200 brake levers
- Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes
- Shimano 600 fluted seatpost
- Selle San Marco Rolls Saddle
- Shimano LX hubs laced to Velocity Synergy Rims 650b; front has 100mm OLD, the rear has 135mm OLD
- Panaracer fatty rumptin 650x40b
- Nitto M-12 rack
- SKS P45 fenders

Pictures forthcoming

2 comments:

jim g said...

You did remember to apply Framesaver, right? ;)

Unknown said...

No. I was too eager to get it built--I have been walking around all week everywhere. I will take some time this weekend to take some parts off--probably seatpost and BB and apply some framesaver. bad idea?

I always wonder if the frame will really rust in this climate if I don't do it.