I spoke with Hiroshi Iimura at Jitensha Studio shortly after I came back from a trip a week ago and learned that I probably shouldn't expect my frame to arrive until early March (he was assembling an Ebisu that someone had ordered in early August; the wait for an Ebisu is now up to 5 months). Nonetheless, I decided to get the wheels build up. I have 36h hubs--Ultegra 10-speed rear and Suntour XC Comp NOS front--and I had to decide what rims to use. There were really only two options for my purpose--velocity synergy and grand bois rims. To complicate the matter slightly, Iimura-san only has access to 32h Synergy rims and 36h grand bois rims.
I initially went with Grand Bois and later changed my mind and decided to go with Synergy. For that, I had to supply the rims, too. I bought 2 rims ((with yet another twist; Iimura-san prefers not to use OC rims, so I bought two non-OC ones) from Rivendell (likely the only place in the US that stocks 36h Synergy rims in 650b). Hiroshi is a little backed up after spending a month in Japan. But since my frame won't arrive for another 6 weeks, I am not in the hurry. When I was at Rivendell, I also dropped off my SON20 hub for Rich to build into a wheel. I still need to get a light for it, and I am thinking about getting a Busch & Muller IQ Cyo.
I will get some pictures of the wheels up when I get them back from the builders.
By the way, I also got a pair of Grand Bois Hetre tires from Box Dog Bikes when the shop had a 20% sale.
Here is the updated list:
- cables, housings and ferrules
- tubes 650b
- Rim Tapes
- Hanjo smooth fender
- Shimano Ultegra 6500 rear derailleur; long cage
- Shimano 105 9-speed front derailleur; triple; 28.6 clamp diameter
- Sugino XD600 crankset 46/36/26 170 crank arm length
- Shimano Ultegra seatpost 27.2
- Selle Anatomica Saddle; clydesdale
- Tektro R200A brake levers; black/silver
- Grenouille cantilever brakes from VO
- Velo Orange adjustable brake shoes
- Nitto Randonneur handlebars; 44cm
- Nitto Pearl quill stem; 10 cm reach
- Crank Brothers Quattro road pedals
- SRAM 890 8-speed chain
- Riv Silver friction downtube shifters
- Phil Wood stainless steel bottom bracket 68x108mm JIS
- Stronglight A9 1" threaded headset, British thread; black with "paramount" inscribed
- Shimano XT M737 11-30 8-speed cassette
- Velocity Synergy non-OC silver rim laced to Shimano Ultegra FH 6600 10-speed hub; 36h
- Velocity Synergy non-OC silver rim laced to Suntour XC Comp front hub; 36h
- Velocity Synergy non-OC silver rim laced to SON20 hub
- tires; Grand Bois Hetres (2)
- Handlebar tape: yellow or tan Soma thick n zesty tape
- Jitensha mini-front rack for Ebisu All Purpose
- Inujirushi handlebar bag; medium